Lighting my Nether Portal

Discussion in 'Main (Survival)' started by WhiskeyCoffee, Jan 11, 2014.

1. WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee Chain Saw Pick Powered

So far in the new server I've set up a temp base with loads of chests and cookers to gather resources for a big build.

Anyway, I need loads of nether brick and marble and the like so I built a portal - as you do. I could not for the life of me get it to activate by lighting it with a flint and steel. I know that you're supposed to light it at the bottom. I double and treble checked it was the right size - 3 obs a side, two at the top and bottom. I even had Mr Wonder(ful) Bread TP over to check it.

Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Just a new glitch maybe ?
  2. Dregamus

Dregamus Trusted

Lemme build one and try it out myself
    WhiskeyCoffee likes this.
  3. WhiskeyCoffee

Thanks D
  4. Punkae

Punkae Professional Freelance Tea Addict Staff Member [______________________]

Lighter is disabled for some reason at the moment. Lighter is SUPPOSED to be enabled and firespread is supposed to be off. I'll get it sorted ASAP. :)
  5. WhiskeyCoffee

ah, that was it, thanks Cass. I was already to pour a bucket of lava over the whole thing.

By the way, I won't be on the server much this week, I'm on nights for seven days :(

Oh well.

Still, it gives me plenty of time to fiddle around on photoshop ! :D
  6. WhiskeyCoffee

Any more news on this yet? I popped on the server for 5 mins this morning to to vote and get some lovely sponges.

I tried lighting the portal, but to no avail.

Anyone else having problems?
  7. Darrington

Darrington ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <SuperMod> Staff Member SuperMod

I can't light my portal either. I was able to light it a few days after the wipe.. but broke it and can't re-light it. So I've been doing /warp disposalnether until we can light our portals again.

Cass
  8. bigbone131

bigbone131 Nipple Master

/warp nether is op
    jaboc187 likes this.
  9. WhiskeyCoffee

Cass

Can we have /warp nether on a temp basis untill this is fixed please ?
  10. Kalanbel

Kalanbel Outdoor Enthusiast, Young at Heart Premod

We were able to light our portal. Draklen had to turn on fire spread in our town first though.
  11. Darrington

Hrm.. Anyone tried on personal claims recently? (I can't try at the moment because I'm at work)
  12. Punkae

The lighter function SHOULD be on for the global world region. However, the spreading of fires is supposed to be off to stop griefing. I can go and check to see if it lets me do it, but I'm not sure as of this moment what it's doing. I only know I set lighter to allow and firespread to deny in the __global__ region of worldguard. If there's a firespread disable function in private chunks, there's also probably a way to "sell" or get rid of that function. All extra protections are usually controlled by what are called "chunk addons", which you can "sell back" if you don't wish to use them. I'll take a look at the config for this to see. :)
    Darrington likes this.
  13. WhiskeyCoffee

*raises eyebrows* Could you explain what that means in English please Cass :)

Whatever it means it sounds like you're on the case. I'll check next time I'm on.
    Dragonern3 likes this.
  14. Darrington

Essentially... She is going to see if she can try disabling some of the functionality of the plugin WorldGuard but retain the way it inhibits fire spread on the server.

Further note.. I tried lighting my portal last night and it would not lite. But this morning I'm wondering if it is because my portal is on my private chunk. I wonder if I built a portal on a non-claimed chunk.. if it would lite? (I'll try and test that when I get home from work--unless someone tests it first and posts their results ;))

Cass
    Punkae likes this.
  15. Punkae

Sounds like a plan! Thanks so much for explaining the situation and for being willing to test and help! I very much appreciate this! :D
    Darrington likes this.
  16. Darrington

Cass
    Ok... did further testing...I can't light a portal in the main world. Even on non-claimed chunks. Sooo... I checked our other worlds... I can light it in both disposal and our mini-game world. I could also light a fire in those worlds. The fire would not spread and I got the notification when I used the lighter. In the main world... no notification and it won't light a fire.

I'm guessing that it's a difference in configs between the worlds. Might be a good idea to do a stare and compare of the two configs for the WorldGuard plugin.

Hope this helps.
  17. Punkae

Oh, it's just a towny world or worldguard world specific setting then. I know exactly where to fix this. :XD:

Silly I didn't think of it beforehand. :-p
    WhiskeyCoffee and Darrington like this.
  18. kaiserlowen

kaiserlowen New Member

I was wondering why mine wouldn't light either... Thanks! :D
  19. Punkae

It seems that although this affects only the main world, I can't find where lighter is disabled in either WorldGuard or Towny yet. I did spend some time looking today, but everything seems to be in order as it was before. I didn't change anything, and the only adjustment to the world "world" was the fresh map. I shall keep looking to find the solution.

Just wanted to keep you all updated and make sure you know that just because it isn't fixed yet doesn't mean I've forgotten about it or that I'm not doing anything.
  20. kaiserlowen

kaiserlowen New Member

I get so bored so easily in MC... I can't wait to get to the nether. xD

Thanks for all the hard work. :3